What It Is:
• The Order of the Eastern Star is the largest fraternal organization in the world to which both women and men may belong.
• Worldwide, there are approximately 1 million members (Internet)
• Eastern Star is a social order comprised of persons with spiritual values, but it is not a religion. It is based on teachings from the Bible.
• Its appeal rests in the true beauty of the refreshing and character-building lessons that are so sincerely portrayed in its ritualistic work. The character-building lessons taught in the Order are stories inspired by Biblical figures.
• While this is an Order composed of people of deep spiritual convictions, it is open to all faiths, except no faith.
• The personal welfare of our members is vital to all of those in the Eastern Star, and it is considered a privilege to help another member whenever we can.
• Members of the Order are aged 18 and older; men must be Master Masons and women must have specific relationships with Masons. Originally, a woman would have to be the daughter, widow, wife, sister, or mother of a Master Mason, but certain chapters now allow “Adopted Sisters”.
Who May Join:
– Affiliated Master Masons in good standing – stepdaughters
– wives – stepsisters
– daughters – daughters-in-law
– legally adopted daughters – grandmothers
– mothers – great granddaughters
– widows – nieces
– sisters – great nieces
– half sisters – mothers-in-law
– granddaughters – sisters-in-law